There are times when you feel you have had enough of the non-sense and anger seems to dominate the emotions. What is it that you do then? Playing with my anger for a while now, I wondered how other people respond to anger.
Some related discussion ideas that come to my mind are: - Is it okay to be angry at all? - Why does someone get angry? - Can anger be good at times?
A little note about the image here: This is my creating at one angry moment :)
Firstly I'm answering the three questions asked:
- Like Jayesh sir has told, anger is just another emotion and cannot be reigned in. But what happens after that is individual's strength of self-control.
- Anger maybe the cause of any slightest of triggers (again the trigger varies for every individual :) ) or maybe for no reason at all (has happened sometimes for me)
- I dont think anger can be good in majority of the cases.
Distractions (like mentioned) is a good idea. I guess for me music and silence does the trick. Since I dont want to complicate things by talking when I am angry I prefer to stay silent. It is pretty good if we can get the distractions, but sometimes its not at all feasible to do so. Two simple examples I can give from my experience are: One, I'm trying to keep quiet but if I'm outside with a couple of friends this does not happen for more than 5 minutes at the maximum n anger doesn't ebb away in 5 minutes though. Two, exam time and preparation incomplete. If I lose my temper with something then it affects my studies. Distracting myself would not be feasible then. :) So if distractions are not feasible, I try to go on as much as possible with the task at hand. (be it a gossiping group of friends or studies :) )
So I guess with anger, the good things (for me) is to stay quiet and sleep for a while or listen to some soft slow music. :) I'm open to other effective ideas which may say otherwise too. Please suggest :)
- Failed External Expectation There are times when the root of anger is the consequence of seeing a person, organisation or a system fail upon an expectation. Anger is the emotion that comes into play. Anger comes with pain. many times frustration also lurks in. Yet, I know that I have in the past, and I hope I will in future, used the opportunity to make the subject of the expectation (e.g. an unaccomplished task) an example for myself and for everyone else. Leaves me confident. Sends the right message right across to everyone
- Discontent: There are other times when the simmering head vows, resolves, stabilises upon, commits, refines upon future ideas and actions. Anger is the mother of discontent. When I get angry, I set out to resolve, at a pace, higher than ever before
- listening to music,
- sitting alone in the dark,
- going on long long walks,
- eating like anything,
- talking to a friend
- screaming while riding the bike at 80kmph
- singing songs in extremely random manner and tunes
- watching "Air Crash Investigation" episodes
- cleaning up
- write it out on paper and burn it off.
- Make creative stuff like that guy up there with a gun!