Please find the Event Log for Project Prayas!
12 July 2012 02:00 Volunteer Movement Begun
Field team has started to move towards their first destination - Guawahati. Thereafter they will proceed to Jorhat.
12 July 2012 08:00 First Contribution In
While the field team is moving towards Jorhat the following are the updates:
- The confirmation for the first contribution for Project Prayas is in.
- A total of 11 volunteers have been deployed for the Project
- The objective for the day are to mobilse contributions besides drawing up specifics for the field team to act upon.
Next update at 4:00 PM
12 July 2012 16:00Field team Expected to Reach Guwahati by 20:00
- Field team expected to reach Guwahati by 20:00 tonight
- There was no map showing the affected areas. We have mapped the affected areas (either by floods or by landslide) on a Google Map below
13th July 2012 08:00 AM : Field Team Reach Guwahathi
1. Field Team Volunteers moved ahead from Guwahathi.
2. Weather to remain cloudy - Chances of thunderstorm and rain. If rain continues then river level will rise again.
3. Approximately Rs. 75,000/- have been pledged for the Flood Relief. Thank you for all your contributions.
4. Within the next 72 hours we will finalize a strategy on the materials to be purchased and delivered.
Next update at 10:00PM
13th July 2012 14:00PM : Field Team reach Jorhat
- Field Team reached Jorhat district of Assam which is greatly affected by floods.
- We are networking with Oxfam India, Goonj and AmeriCares India (other organizations at the field) to have better understanding about the affected areas and how we can provide relief immediately.
- Total of Rs.81889/- has been pledged for the Flood Relief as of 1:00PM today. Thank you for all your contributions.
13th July 2012 22:00PM: Reached Affected Area.
If you have not already decided upon making your contibution, please do it now. Tomorrow evening once we have the inputs from the field team and with the estimation of available funds we will decide on the relief strategy. The more funds we have at that stage, the more elaborate will be the relief process.
Total funds pledged till now: Rs98,399/-
14th July 2012 15:00 : Flood Assessment Report from Field Team
- It is an agricutural belt which got badly submerged. Homes and sources of livelihood destroyed. People have moved to embankments and road sides.
- Government has provided small dry ration packets several times. Food is not a problem.
- The volunteers found medical camps in the area giving free treatment. Medicines is not a problem.
- The Sub-dividional officer asked for Tarpoulins. He said that 5000 tarpoulins were committed to one week back but they did not come.
- People in the village of SALMARA too suggested that what they needed the most was tarpoulins.
After market survey and talks with vendors in Jorhat, Guwahati, Kolkata, Silogudi, Ahmedabad and Bangalore, the best option to be provided to the people has been zeroes upon as the following : : 125 gm Tarpoulin sheets of 12 X 15' size. The lowest costs we got for these sheets were as follows:
- Bangalore | Manufacturer | Rs 234/-
- Ahmedabad | Manufacturer | Rs 243/-
- Guwahati | Destributor | Rs 250/-
- Jorhat | Retailer | Out of stock
We have only Rs.1,00,399/- collected till now. This is sufficient only for 400 tarpoulins. It will be very meaningful if we can make it at least 1000 sheets.This is the time when you should commit or transfer funds if you have not done so already! Your early decision may help us to increase the number of sheets we are buying and thereby ensure more relief!
15th July 2012 12:00PM : 800 Tarpoulins required!
Volunteers have reached Guwahati to procure Tarpaulin for flood affected areas in Majuli
With active discussions with the district administration at Jorhat, and thorough investigation with locals at Majoli, the volunteers arrived at the conclusion that Tarpaulin sheets is the most required need for now.
The administration stated that they needed atleast 5000 tarpaulin sheets. With the contributions that we have we are donating 800 tarpauin sheets to the affected areas.
The cost per tarpaulin sheets is Rs. 250.
Total funds collected : Rs. 1,31,761 which suffice 527 sheets.
You can make a huge DIFFERENCE.
Please contribute 1,2,5, 10, 20, 25 or more tarpoulin sheets.
Note: The field volunteers on their trip to Guwahati last night encountered an earthquake that happened in Nagaland last night at 01:25 AM, of which they were 100kms from the earthquake. No other issue reported.
15th July 2012 18:00 - Field team have initiated the purchase of
The purchased materials will be distributed tomorrrow in Majuli with the help of the sub-dividional officer from district administration and few local volunteers
Sankalp India Foundation has decided to initiate Project Prayas: Relief for the flood Affected Assam.
All the best! to all of us.